South Korea

‘This Isn’t Happening’. Prostitution in Korea. Does it actually exist?

A young Korean friend asked for a little help with a short essay he had written for his university English class. We chatted over a beer in the pub, went over a couple of minor grammatical stumbles, tidied up the punctuation and a few spelling mistakes. I told him his one-page paper, whilst a bit repetitive, was fine. Then I asked if he wanted to talk about the actual topic of his essay. He seemed not to understand the question – what did the content have to do with anything? His topic was prostitution in South Korea and to summarise, it went like this…

I am glad that prostitution is illegal in Korea. On my trip to Europe last year I visited Amsterdam and I was shocked to learn that prostitution is legal there. I am glad I am Korean. Prostitution is degrading to woman and prostitution exploits women. If prostitution is legal then that means those people think it is ok to exploit women. I am happy that prostitution is illegal in Korea.

I had to ask my young friend what he thought of Korea’s massive sex industry (which 10 years ago was estimated to generate over four percent of the nation’s GDP – more than Korea’s agriculture and fisheries industries combined). Who, if anyone, was enforcing these laws my young friend was so in favour of, considering the staggering statistics frequently reported in the press on what (on numbers alone) appears to be a little-spoken national pastime.

Korea-prostitutes-11_1
These ladies are not prostitutes (that’s illegal), but they will have sex with you in exchange for some money.                                                                                                         Photo: Mathew Campagna

“What about the coffee girls”, I asked.These miniskirt-clad, scooter-riding young women deliver hot flasks of coffee to businessmen all over the country. The girl sits and chats with the businessman while he enjoys his coffee. Everything else costs extra of course. This is illegal of course, but a convenience considered by many to be an important, if not necessary service, providing executive stress relief to very important men who are so busy working they don’t even have time to leave the office for sex. This is all perfectly acceptable behaviour of course, because after all it is ostensibly all about the coffee (I have a theory that all these business guys having all this relaxing, stress-reliving sex during the workday probably only became stressed and jittery in the first place because of all that coffee).

“What about the barbershops?” I went on.

Like the coffee girls, the barbershops are found nationwide and advertise their services by means of two spinning red and white ‘barbers’ poles’, which usually lead customers into the basements of buildings, where men are generally served by ajummas (some of the more seasoned industry workers, let’s say). Everybody knows somebody or has heard a story about some guy who inadvertently entered one of these establishments with a mind toward getting an actual haircut.

You probably won’t get a haircut here.

I quizzed him about the ‘Hooker Cards’ that litter the streets near numerous red-light districts and universities. There’s no way you can collect the whole set of these particular shiny business cards featuring a picture of a barely clothed young Korean woman and a mobile phone number. There are just too many of them. Prostitution is illegal, but it’s fine to advertise your illegal service (and phone number) all over the city.

Hooker cards! Collect the whole set – there’s thousands of them!

“What’s with all the ‘juicy-bars’?”

Frequented largely by American military personnel, these bars are full of attractive young women who will approach you for a friendly chat, then ask you to buy them a drink. They’re known as ‘juicy bars’, because the ‘drink’ you buy the nice lady will cost you twenty dollars, and will have very little or no alcohol at all (so the bargirls don’t get too drunk while they’re working). In these bars you can strike a deal with the management and/or the lady, and move on from there. These are of course illegal. There are thousands of them.

“What about the ‘Love Hotels’ everywhere?”

These are basically like any other inexpensive motel, often with a computer and wide-screen TV in each room, though they can be rented by the night or by the hour. My wife and I have stayed in a few love motels around the country and it is at one of these we encountered our first dildo vending machine.

Then there are the room salons, noraebangs (private singing rooms), DVD bangs (private rooms where teenagers can also watch a DVD). Why some of these rooms also have private showers is a complete mystery… because prostitution is illegal.

Red light district, Seoul                                           Photo: Mathew Campagna

Of course, you can also just stroll down various streets and choose a woman from a glass box with red neon lights exactly the same as the lights at my local butcher.

The Ministry for Gender Equality estimated that around half a million women were working in the South Korean sex industry, though some within the industry have estimated this number to be 1.2 million.

Most recent reports suggest the number of sex workers has fallen steadily since new anti-sex trafficking laws were introduced in 2007, though it remains a massive business, and other countries in the region have noted increasing numbers of Koreans women moving overseas to work in less restrictive countries, such as Australia. The great number of sex workers remaining in Korea are increasingly using internet chaatrooms and other non-traditional methods to procure clients and keep working.

I was just getting warmed, and temporarily forgot I had strayed somewhat from my friend’s original request for grammatical assistance with a 100-word English-language freshmen university homework assignment.

Getting toward full rant mode I challenged him on the safety of Korean sex workers, now that the increasing enforcement of the existing laws was forcing their industry further underground, where the women may arguably be more vulnerable to extortion, violence and disease.

Sex workers in Seoul protest anti-prostitution laws.

Why was it exactly, that the industry workers themselves have on a number of occasions held high-profile mass protest rallies to protect their brothels and jobs, some going as far as to douse themselves in fuel and threaten self-immolation in order to ‘die with glory’ rather than lose their livelihoods.

These protesting sex workers in Seoul threaten to set themselves alight to “die with glory” rather than lose their brothels and jobs.

Where, I demanded, would a working girl (having committed a crime) go for help if she was beaten or raped?

Why exactly are Korean men reported to be the biggest (per capita) sex tourists in South-east Asian countries, such as Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam… Meanwhile back at home, upper estimates from within the industry suggest that around 20% (one in 5?!) women between 15 and 29 have worked in the industry.

My friend stopped me. I had become so involved in my impromptu rant that I’d completely failed to notice the peaceful, slightly glazed expression he was now wearing. I’d seen this face before. Koreans, as far as I know, are the champions of the galaxy at a game called ‘This Isn’t Happening’. It can be quite disarming to the uninitiated, and a game of ‘This Isn’t Happening’ can break out at any time, in any context. The conversation was over. Actually, I’m not confident it ever began.

“You don’t understand,” he said calmly, resting his hand gently on my shoulder.

“Prostitution is illegal here”.

______________________________________________________________________

*Photography by Mathew Campagna at campagnapictures.com

80 Comments on "‘This Isn’t Happening’. Prostitution in Korea. Does it actually exist?"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Billy
Billy
3 years 2 months ago

you can’t beat the programming.

2 years 2 months ago

Shut the fuck up you fuckin bitch

Tim
Tim
3 years 1 month ago

Wait, I was told that there is no prostitution, drug use, or homosexuality in Korea. Do you mean to say that these things aren’t necessarily true?

Jason P. Morrison
Jason P. Morrison
2 years 11 months ago

Don’t call them PROSTITUTES. They are Comfort Women and shift the blame to the Japanese. Do some face lift of the reality to make Koreans look most morally upright people on earth.

jomo
jomo
2 years 7 months ago
the korean guy in this story is an idiot. and i am sure there are many more out there who are just like him. many many more. but there are also many others who know better. like the very researchers and scholars, many of whom are likely korean because much of the work was done by korean universities or the government, who study this stuff and put out the very numbers the author uses in this piece. but korean people tend to be like people from most east asian countries whose cultures have yet to figure out how to deal… Read more »
Plea for humanity
Plea for humanity
2 years 2 months ago

Do you realize these so-called “Comfort Women” were women who were enslaved, raped, beaten, murdered? How you can bring up this issue when the article discusses another is just beyond me. Please, go learn more about Japanese military sexual slavery–because that’s what it was, NOT prostitution–so you’d understand how hurtful your words are.

2 years 2 months ago

You’re missing the point entirely.

whoop
whoop
2 years 2 months ago

No, they’re not. To bring comfort women into this is completely wrong and uncalled for. It says a lot about you that you don’t see anything wrong with it, to be honest.

Mahringer
Mahringer
1 year 28 days ago
South Korea was and still is a big prostitution exporting country. During WWII Korean traders recruited Korean women for prostitution and did business with Japanese soldiers, and after the war they conveniently forgot everything and started calling them ‘sex slaves’ and demand the Japanese govt. compensate for their ‘slavery’. There’s nothing to prove it other than what they say. Oh, another thing, Koreans traders sold their women to the US troops during the Korean War (the brothels were run by the the Korean govt. but it’s still kept secret in S. Korea) and Vietnam War but of course they forgot… Read more »
mike foley
2 years 2 months ago

Don’t call your comment a comment. Call it a nonparallel mangling of logic to vent your little man frustrations at not getting the love from Korean society to which you feel your white skin entitles you.

British guy
British guy
2 years 11 months ago
I have been to korea many times and the Korean girls wont have sex with most foreigners as they have been Programmed to believe AIDS and all sexual deseases come from Foreigners but not from Korean men take note that there is so many love(sex)hotels all over korea and 90% of Korean men have prostitutes but they want to belive that’s not true Korean men for Korean woman foreigners not welcome sexist and Racist country I been here for 4 years now u have to go to foreigner friendly places to have sex with chineese or Russian or philippeno gals… Read more »
Nico
Nico
2 years 11 months ago

Racism takes form in many different ugly shapes, some more subtle, some more flagrant. What you have experiences is the most obvious and blatant form of racism. However, make no mistakes about it. Korea IS racist. But it goes without saying that every nation in this pitiful world is also, unabashedly racist. Just in ways that an ignorant couldn’t identify.

mike foley
2 years 2 months ago

You’re calling Korea racist because prostitutes don’t want to have sex with you? You know how stupid and creepy that sounds? If a girl won’t have sex with me for money, I would take a good look at myself in the mirror, not cry ‘racism.’

richpea
richpea
2 years 2 months ago

Dear British guy… while I can sympathize a bit with your frustrations in Korea… if you dislike it as much as you seem to for being sexist and racist, no one is making you stay.

gookfree
gookfree
2 years 11 months ago

Korea is the economic giant today that exports from automobile, home electronics, ships, steels, nuclear plants, but why Korea also exports millions of prostitutes over the world?? It is no doubt that Koreans made money during WW2 when they were much poor – not the sex slaves, that’s their business.
It’s Korea main industry. They are prostitutes by nature. GO HOME YOUR OWN COUNTRY!

qqq
qqq
2 years 2 months ago

Ignorant. Study history first.
I do not make a logical comment to an idiot because he/she will not understand or will not event try to understand it anyway. Pitiful…

Matthias Lehmann
2 years 10 months ago

Little correction about South Korea’s Anti-Sex Trade Law (성매매특별법, Seongmaemae Tteukbyeolbeob). The law was adopted in 2004 and some content was changed in late 2011. [Ministry of Gender Equality and Family http://english.mogef.go.kr/sub02/sub02_32_02.jsp

Had a good laugh about your ‘coffee theory’, not so much about some of the comments here.

Seri
Seri
2 years 9 months ago

The biggest problem is the wage gap between Korean women and men and the difficulty Korean women have with finding gainful employment… workplace discrimination is the biggest problem… and then divorce settlements… men need to be required to pay for child support after divorce… and then maternity leave, where women do not have to worry about losing their jobs after giving birth.

DeCode
DeCode
2 years 9 months ago
No they don’t. Ugly fact; most divorces are initiated by women, not men, and in countries with gauruteed alimony and child support, divorce rates are off the charts. And no these divorces are not intitiated because of adultry or abuse. Most are “no fault” or more commonly known as “I or We don’t love each other anymore” syndrome. If you lived in Korea you’d also know that the reason for the rampant prostitution is because once married most korean wives (and men) refuse to have sex with each other. Therefore the sex trade is providing an outlet of sexual release.… Read more »
Maria Minkina

That is true !!!

2 years 2 months ago

Spot on. Been in Korea for 12 years.

randyneuman
randyneuman
2 years 8 months ago

The ones in the red costumes look pretty hot. Who cares about the politics? people need to calm down and accept less – less sex, money whatever.

Dee
2 years 5 months ago

It appears as though much has changed, since I was there in the 70’s, and much has not.

Jane
Jane
2 years 2 months ago

Korean prostitutes went crazy in Seul when a new regulation was introduced. Korea exports everything around the globe from high-tech products to prostitutes. Selling sex overseas are only for women who are from poor developing countries
Korean women seem to be prostitutes by nature.

Why
Why
2 years 2 months ago

“Korean women seem to be prostitutes by nature”?
Obviously just an inflammatory comment, but why so hateful?

ega
ega
2 years 2 months ago

To begin with, you are racist.

Maria Minkina
2 years 2 months ago
Surely it depends on a person…but not a long time ago I was reading Korean article which says that many young Korean females provide some sort of sex services to be able to buy a new designer bag or save up money for a trip abroad. Those girls are not really struggling for live, they have homes, they study at the Universities so for them its an easy way to make some extra cash for “small luxuries”. Actually there are thousands other ways how to do it without sex being involved but still its a very common practice in Korea.… Read more »
The nerd
The nerd
2 years 2 months ago

I bet you he’s been to an anma/room salon/kiss bang at least once

The nerd
The nerd
2 years 2 months ago

*the student in the article

trackback

[…] A young Korean friend asked for a little help with a short essay he had written for his university English class. We chatted over a beer in the pub, went over a couple of minor grammatical stumbles, tidied up the punctuation and a few spelling mistakes. I told him…  […]

2 years 2 months ago

Very good read. Prostiution exists almost everywhere, but koreans are being ignorant about it, which is the main problem.

Thank you for this article.

2 years 2 months ago
First i should say your friend is an idiot conservative again idiot just as many hundred of thousands of korean people. And I AM KOREAN. I was aware about this situation but i didnt know there were that many ..”sex-but-no-sex shops”. Im shocked and so embarrassed… More embarassed for what your friend said. That he was proud of being korean because prostitution is ilegal in korea and shocked for what he saw in i dont know which country he has been to. And the “you have to understand them because is ilegal” part. Thats what i hate the most about… Read more »
Matthias Lehmann
2 years 2 months ago

I agree that what societies need is more honesty when it comes to sex work and I am personally not opposed to street-based sex work per se, but in Korea, where sex workers are persecuted by the police, indoor sex work sure is safer than street-based sex work. But if your point was that Korean society should accept sex workers, I’m very much on board.

2 years 2 months ago

I want korean people to admit that this things are ocurrig now. That this is the real stuff even they want to ignore it. So they can do something about it.
Im not say they should accept sex workers nor make it legal. Sex is no job. Thats riddiculous. And thise KISSING BANG have you heard of them? They really dont know what to do
Oh im so pissed

Jo
Jo
2 years 2 months ago

Another foreigner rant of the obvious void of any useful content. Yes we all know this stuff exists. How did you say this get fixed? Oh yeah it was silence…

Matthias Lehmann
2 years 2 months ago
What needs to get fixed is South Korea’s Anti-Sex Trade Law. Sex work needs to be decriminalised, in line with recommendations by the United Nations, the World Health Organisations and countless service providers to both sex workers and victims of human trafficking. Criminalising sex workers and/or their clients doesn’t solve anything. If any of you actually want to read something about “this stuff”, you can start with one of the sources listed below. [1] Research Project Korea – “Criminalising the payment for sexual services – An introduction for the uninitiated” http://wp.me/p294H2-NM [2] UNDP “Sex Work and the Law in Asia… Read more »
question
question
2 years 2 months ago
I am Korean. I don’t understand the article. Are Koreans really ignorant about the sex work going on in the country? As far as I know, Koreans DO know all these things happening. So, when I read the article, it seems like the article is trying to introduce some facts about Korea to foreigners rather than convince Koreans about their country because all facts you listed are things I already recognized about and things I often see from Korean media. Koreans know more than you as people actually live in the country. They don’t deny sex working and Koreans also… Read more »
George Deftereos (@GeorgeDeftereos)
Guest

For a Korean to think that these things don’t exist or for a foreigner to think that Koreans don’t talk about these things, both are equally naive.

Some Koreans just find it difficult to talk to foreigners about things they think will make Korea look weak to foreigners.

mike foley
2 years 2 months ago

This is not about the Korean’s ignorance. Most Koreans know what’s happening. No kidding. This is about the author using this Korean as an excuse to do his soapbox grandstand.

Duke
Duke
2 years 2 months ago

I thoroughly enjoyed this read! You kept it easy, swift and light, despite the potentially sensitive nature of the topic. You had me laughing with Champions of the Galaxy! I’ve been on the losing end of that game a few times, very disarming indeed if you don’t know what’s happening!

G
G
2 years 2 months ago
This article fails to notice two things : First, It’s natural to become defensive when talking about one’s country. Prostitution is an open secret in Korea, and I doubt that kid didn’t know about it, either, hell, I had to walk straight through a red-light district on my way to school. That doesn’t mean we’d like to admit it to foreigners. Second, this seems to be written under the assumption that all Koreans are bushy-tailed college boys. Hell no. There are more Koreans than there are Canadians. That’s like a Korean living in New York complaining that all Americans are… Read more »
G
G
2 years 2 months ago

I mean, if you confront a college freshman in American about the current depression (face it, it’s a depression : see, even YOU just tried to deny it), what is he going to say?

Mark
2 years 2 months ago
Some of what is stated about the sex industry here is (or was) true, but the article is stupidly outdated and makes incorrect statements. It’s simply yet another “hey, come read my blog because I’ve posted an article and pics about hookers” piece. It looks like something written by someone who has been here a decade, but not learned enough about Korea to hear/see the changes taking place — or is simply regurgitating (stealing) the same OLD boring expat stories without bothering to investigate the truth. First stupid generalization: the “hooker cards” are almost all photos of Japanese women, NOT… Read more »
seungmin282
seungmin282
2 years 2 months ago
Agreed. What annoyed me was that peninsularity combined the lack of research with the whole “I-know-more-about-your-society-than-you-do” shtick that’s so common in these expat blogs (and has been a staple of western writers since colonial times). Hell, I bet no one in Korea over the age of 16 is ignorant of what these “barbershops”, “DVD bangs (which are more for couples than prostitutes)”, and “room salons” actually are. I do agree that prostitution is a huge problem in Korea — it speaks to the patriarchal institutions of the country, the vulnerability of women, and the hypocrisy of Korean men who employ… Read more »
mike foley
2 years 2 months ago

Yes. Thank you. The tone is smug and self righteous and all too common among these expat blogs. A teenager asked for grammar help. The author yells at him for 20 minutes. The teenager is wondering: wtf? The author walks away freling morally superior. Silly Koreans. It’s gross.

Kris
Kris
2 years 2 months ago

The author of this blog seems to not be able to distinguish the difference between “illegal” and “occurance.” His/her student is correct. Prostitution is illegal in SK. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. The student never made any claims that it doesn’t exist. Just as cocaine or heroine is illegal in the U.S., that doesn’t mean you won’t find people abusing them. Prostitution is also illegal in the U.S., but it also happens.

anon
anon
2 years 2 months ago
Illegality is not the same thing as non-existence. Based on the brief excerpt of the young author’s article provided, it seems he is merely stating that prostitution is illegal in Korea and that this is morally good from his perspective. I don’t get the impression that he is denying the widespread existence and toleration of prostitution or the lax enforcement of anti-sex trade laws here. A similar corollary would be the ongoing debate over marijuana legalization in the United States. Despite widespread use of the drug and a lack of evidence to support the (often hyperbolic) dangers of usage, there… Read more »
Rico
Rico
2 years 2 months ago

I must learn the art of ‘This Isn’t Happening’

isaiah diesel
isaiah diesel
2 years 2 months ago
Here is the thing, I think technically it is illegal. Also, I have heard that adultery is illegal as well. Of course, these laws do not go enforced. You can literally see here brothels DIRECTLY behind police stations. Seriously. It is an unfortunate reality that it takes place a lot here. A LOT. This isnt surprising at all. Korean women are hot, if not by nature then by plastic surgery. And men will always want t pay for sex, aint nothing going to change there. What is surprising is the degree that people will deny that it exists. I’ve had… Read more »
boa yo
boa yo
2 years 2 months ago

A hooker won’t give you happiness our love. You might enjoy it for a few seconds but it won’t last. Love is the only true value in this world.
Real men don’t paid for sex.

Matthias Lehmann
2 years 2 months ago

Real human beings don’t perpetuate stigma against sex workers.

Matthias Lehmann
2 years 2 months ago

Real human beings don’t perpetuate stigma against sex workers.

Josh
Josh
1 year 11 months ago

Says Matthias who probably is a John extraordinaire…

Matthias Lehmann
1 year 11 months ago

Slandering those opposing prostitution-prohibitionist views and calling them “johns”, “pimps”, “traffickers” etc. is a common rhetorical ploy which luckily only works with the likes of Josh. Here’s a selection of what I’ve been called over the last years. http://tinyurl.com/ppj59c3

Josh
Josh
1 year 11 months ago
I love the so called “progressive morality” these articles exude. Let me ask you.. Is Thailand a better place because prostitution laws aren’t vigorously enforced? There seems to be an impression that in places where prostitution is legal (or at least tolerated) that it’s all the much better for the sex workers in that environment. That is a fallacy. The Red Light workers in Amsterdam still have pimps (many are affiliated with criminal gangs) that they have to give a large portion of their earnings to. The bar girls of Phnom Penh and Bangkok don’t get to see a lot… Read more »
Matthias Lehmann
1 year 11 months ago
Since you chose to attack me above, I shouldn’t even engage with you but I will anyway. You are not the only one who has ever encountered human suffering. I have worked for an anti-trafficking organisation working with (mostly stateless) children at the Thai-Myanmar border, and with another NGO working with children living with HIV, and I have encountered victims, too. Your encounter with Pham in Cambodia surely must have had an impact on you, just as those experiences had an impact on me, just that our reactions are different. Nobody is denying that trafficking for the purpose of labour… Read more »
Matthias Lehmann
1 year 11 months ago

ps. Josh, if you think laws aren’t much enforced in Thailand, then you can read the report “Hit and Run: The impact of anti-trafficking policy and practice on Sex Workers’ Human Rights in Thailand” by the EMPOWER Foundation.

Quote: “We have now reached a point in history where there are more women in the Thai sex industry being abused by anti-trafficking practices than there are women exploited by traffickers.”

You can download the report on the United Nations’ AIDS Data Hub

trackback

[…] So, what REALLY makes sex the number one reason on this list: South Korea, while famous for music, dramas, and movies, is also “famous” for prostitution. […]

Laura
1 year 5 days ago

Just came across this – love it! Of course it’s something that your friend, or many Korean people, wouldn’t want to admit. However, everyone knows it happens. It continues to baffle me how *in-your-face* the advertisements for sexually charged businesses are yet there is such a general lack of concern or, oftentimes, as you highlighted — denial, by most people.

9 months 6 days ago

all japanese Prostitutes = korea woman. They are disgusting.

fasssssa
9 months 6 days ago

korea woman is all Prostitutes. They are disgusting…

complexiderm
8 months 30 days ago

wonderful submit, very informative. I’mwondering why the opposite
specialists of this sector do not understand this. You
must continue your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers’
base already!

Joe
Joe
4 months 9 days ago
So many opinions! And facts!!! Well is there any full koreans here? Not half half and half kind of thing? Well. Not that many Korean students or adults know that truth about the dark side of Korea. So u cant blame the kid or non the less call him stupid…. Well a lot of USA’s military personnel uses prostitutes we call those girls Yankees or something like that. Korea is becoming very international. And by its changing drastically. Now having sex became some what of a THING. Even the Elementary schoolers r into it. A lot of rape of little… Read more »
Matthias Lehmann
4 months 6 days ago

Apparently, stopping to hate is impossible for you, indeed, or else you might refrain from using the words ‘slut’ and ‘whore’ and making claims about who rapes women or visits sex workers, without any evidence to back them up.

trackback

[…] wrong; sex work is not honest work. Nothing more, nothing less. Tragically, this has then led to an unconscious sense of unaccountability among South Koreans in which active denial on the complex matters of sexual exploitation — and […]

Jun
Jun
24 days 10 hours ago

Back in the mid 1960’s prostitution WAS legal , and the girls were required to go to doctor a couple times per month and get their “health card ” stamped

wpDiscuz