A holiday in Iran

The world is a scary place. That’s what I keep hearing anyway, and right now, the omnipresent threat to my personal safety, freedom, employment, and pretty much everything that’s important appears to be escalating into a terrifying crescendo. This tends to happen every four years, before US presidential elections. Luckily, a handful of elderly Americans are this minute arguing vociferously about which of them is best suited to protect me, and my very way of life… and I’m not even American.

I’m quite fortunate though to have no fear of ISIS, other terrorists, Muslims, Latinos, blacks, homosexuals, the unemployed, clowns, ghosts, zombies… apparently I’m highly ignorant or perhaps just wired wrong because these things just don’t scare me. Some things do of course. Perhaps most frightening to me is the rhetoric coming from people who are trying to convince me how scared I should be of everyone except them.

Yes, this world can be a weird and scary place
Yes, this world can be a weird and scary place.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, I just got back from a quick vacation in Iran.

Reaction to this news from some friends and colleagues ranged from concern to disbelief, and could generally be condensed into something like, ‘Iran? …omg, why???’

‘Because it’s there,’ is my standard response… and more accurately because it’s close to my house, but won’t be forever, and the one-hour flight from Dubai to Shiraz was cheap.

Everybody’s different I guess. If you happen to crave the adrenaline rush borne only of true adventure; if you want to test the limits of your own capacity to survive a desolate, unforgiving landscape and a hostile, unforgiving people… well, Iran will disappoint.

Iranians... scary stuff. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
Iranians… scary stuff.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

Not long ago I had no knowledge of the city of Shiraz, and would have assumed it might be in France perhaps, maybe near Bordeaux. I had no idea of this ancient former Persian capital, famed for its literature and wine. I thought to do a bit of preliminary research, so as not to make any cultural faux pas. I’d been advised by a number of people that the wearing of jeans in Iran, and possession of other evil symbols of the western capitalist enemy are prohibited, which is, as it turns out, bullshit.

I’d been told that the Iranian women are strictly controlled by the oppressive regime, and must remain fully covered as not to show their hair, or commit other such immoral public acts, except… more bullshit.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

My lanky friend Borat Sohail and the other hotel staff were extremely helpful from the moment I arrived. They showed me how and where to get an Iranian SIM, tips on currency transactions, and directions to local places of interest. I set off on the first of many walks to get some local money and a bite to eat. Ten minutes later I was completely baffled.

The current official exchange rate is about 30,000 Iranian Rials to the dollar. The ‘real’ rate is about 37,000. Desperate for stable foreign currency after years of economic sanctions, you’ll get a much better rate on the street than in the banks, which makes everything even cheaper than it already was. It was a fun kind of novelty to be walking around with millions in cash… for a few minutes.

2.6 million Rials... cash baby! (that's about $70) Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
2.6 million Rials… cash baby! (that’s about $70)
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

When you realise though that the huge piles of cash aren’t actually very valuable (the smallest denomination bank note (100 Rials) is worth less than US$0.003), things get confusing. Then I found out only the government talks in terms of Rials, but the people trade in the Toman, which just means all sums are divided by ten. There are still too many zeros though, so they often just leave those out. For the next three days I’d be attempting to pay far too much for everything, or far too little.

I ordered a hot dog at the fast food joint near my hotel. There are no western chain-franchise restaurants here. This place was called ‘Fast Food’. The guy asked me if I wanted a small hot dog, which I thought was weird. I ordered a normal one. It didn’t occur to me that the Iranians may not yet have mastered the intricacies of western fast food retail, and that the pictures on the wall might resemble the actual offering. Then I saw a burger being delivered to a table of young men. I remember seeing burgers like that in Australia, 30 years ago. I carried my hot dog in both hands, and the complimentary can of alcohol-free beer (?) back to the hotel.

For $1.50 I expected a quick snack. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
For $1.50 I expected a quick bite.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

The hot dog guy was the first of dozens to ask me where I was from and if I was enjoying Iran. The Persians are proud of their country, and everyone I spoke to was very pleased to hear I was enjoying my stay. Vendors helped me out, smiling and laughing at my cluelessness regarding their currency and, somewhat surprisingly I thought, they didn’t attempt to take advantage. Several people handed back the extra wads of money I’d be attempting to overpay.

I went out for another walk later to see the city at night. I’ve been warned in several countries not to go walking at night, but not here. People were out, walking, shopping, chatting in the restaurants, being normal… the axis of evil stuff is apparently happening elsewhere. Actually it felt safer than a lot of cities I’ve traveled to, from the moment I’d arrived. Even the airport taxi driver hadn’t ripped me off, which is almost unheard of.

Evil Iran... cleverly disguised as quite normal. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
Evil Iran… cleverly disguised as quite normal.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

It was getting late, but the hairs on the back of my neck continued refusing to alert me of any sense of danger. I set off looking for the famed Chah e-Cheragh shrine, which I’d heard was quite beautiful. I came across about 20 guys hanging out at a street falafel stand, near a large sign written in Persian with an arrow pointing down an alley, so I followed that. For the next ten minutes I wandered through a maze of dark alleys, and still… no sense of danger to be found.

Danger stubbornly refused to lurk around every corner. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
Danger stubbornly refused to lurk around every corner.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

I don’t know where those alleys led to, but it wasn’t the shrine I was looking for. Eventually I found it though, and was patted down by an armed security guard who smiled and apologised for having to do so. Admission was free.

At the Shah e-Charagh, Shiraz. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues
At the Shah e-Charagh, Shiraz.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues

The mosque and funerary complex was quiet and serene. Then I walked into the shrine itself. It was indeed quite beautiful. Jaw-dropping would be another way to describe this place, the name of which in Persian translates as ‘King of the Light’. Looking up at the glittering mirrored ceilings, I hadn’t noticed that I’d inadvertently walked into the women’s section, which, in the middle east, isn’t really the best idea. Two women very gently and politely alerted me to this fact and pointed me, smiling, to the men’s entrance.

Mirrors... lots of mirrors. Inside Shah e-Charagh, Shiraz. Photo: Peninsularity Ensues.
Mirrors… lots of mirrors. Inside Shah e-Charagh, Shiraz.
Photo: Peninsularity Ensues.

The remainder of this quick getaway was filled with more of the same… walking around the city, chatting with people, eating street food, and finding out yet again that what the western media has to say, about a great number things, is wildly exaggerated if not complete bullshit. I found Shiraz to be friendly and laid-back, and one of the safer cities I’ve explored, except perhaps to anyone insane enough to put their faith in the city’s many pedestrian (zebra) crossings, which are purely decorative.

It’s a great shame that fear is such an effective and extensively used propaganda weapon of control. There’s a simple way of rendering that weapon useless. We just have to understand, in numbers, that the people of these shadowy far-flung, “evil” countries who wish us so much harm… they really don’t. They’re just like us. There are good and bad elements everywhere of course, but everywhere, the good are the overwhelming majority.

Salaam.

That means peace. It’s how you say hello in Iran.

1133 Comments on "A holiday in Iran"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Lah
Lah
1 year 8 months ago

Nice experience! Salaam

Stephen Schuit
1 year 8 months ago

Nice post. I agree about how government propaganda is, in many instances, intended to bring fear. I found countries like Myanmar, North Korea, Pakistan, Jordan, Egypt and Morocco much safer than my country (or Israel) wanted me to think. However, unlike you, I do fear ISIS.

1 year 8 months ago

I’ve heard it’s beautiful country full of amazing people.

Anonymous
Anonymous
1 year 8 months ago

I always wanted to go skiing there.

Pari
Pari
1 year 8 months ago

Thank you for sharing and another thank you for coming I enjoyed and had smile all the times was reading your opinion about Iran happy to hear that some people can’t believe everything showing in media and not judging easily people just because of their government but unfortunately it’s really nasty game hey please come again welcome always to my country x

yasan
yasan
1 year 8 months ago

thanks for sharing. It was really pleasant and I am glad you enjoyed the trip. Also, as Pari said, you are always welcome. I just wanted to share your experiences and amazing story on my Facebook page.

Diana
Diana
1 year 8 months ago

I had heard very good things about Iran and it’s great to get this confirmation from a trusted friend! I won’t hesitate to go there next chance I get…in the meantime, may the chinooks just keep on rollin’ in!

Kay M Smith
1 year 8 months ago

Good to hear. Enjoyed your account. Kay

Pierre
1 year 7 months ago

Nice post Stu. Always enjoy your writing.

1 year 7 months ago

Who the hell purposely takes a vacation in Iran unless you have ties to that country???

1 year 7 months ago

I do. Why do I need ties? I don’t have ties in North Korea either… or Ethiopia, Bosnia, France… you only go places where you have friends and relatives Al? I mean… that was kinda my point.

The truth will blow your mind Al 😉

1 year 7 months ago

Al why would anyone go on holiday to Spain or France or anywhere else in the world unless you have ties to that country? What a strange thing to say.

1 year 7 months ago

Not strange at all…Spain , France and the rest of Europe are not hot spots for hatred like Iran is

1 year 7 months ago

Al Snowdon …you have some issues.

1 year 7 months ago

Jim MacLean go fuck yourself..stupid fuckin liberal

1 year 7 months ago

A hot spot for hatred ??? . . perfectly describes the US . . . with respect to the middle east and Muslims.

1 year 7 months ago

Al Snowdon I guess the Paris bombings didn’t happen….

1 year 7 months ago

Iran would be a good place to go on holiday to, you could watch a public beheading. It’s nice to sample other countries’ bright and vivid cultures.

1 year 7 months ago

Adrian Smith..that’s my point..Paris bombings did happen and all thanks to the nice little goatfuckers from the middle east

1 year 7 months ago

Al the west is setting up those goatfuckers such as ISIS and others like the Saudi Givernment! Please try to read up before you believe in your CNN and BBC news!! Then dropping bombs on elderly, young children, couples.. Anyone who comes in the way!! Only to steel wealth & OIL?! And they tell people like you about the danger of WMD!! In Iraq.. It’s a joke. Wake up!

1 year 7 months ago

Don’t be scared Al Snowdon. I am sure you never even been to Toronto, but best way to defeat your fear is to face it. I am from Iran and didn’t go back for 15 years but I love to see North Korea, don’t trust government and media. Full of bulshit.

1 year 7 months ago
Mumtaz Ali..maybe you can explain then the bullshit going on in France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, UK and several other countries that are now being terrorize by the garbage that they have let into their countries…the animals from syria, Iraq, Somalia and several other middle east countries…are you gonna try and tell me that nothing is going on there??? They come with the cult that is Islam and terrorize their host countries….that is not made up..that is a fact..they still live like it’s still 1100 a.d. playing off the words of a barbarian child molester….
1 year 7 months ago

Alex Kolver..I work with a guy from Iran every day…great guy but I still wouldn’t visit Iran. .and I make it to toronto on a regular basis…not sure how that is relivent though

1 year 7 months ago
Al Snowdon look up this website: http://www.1001inventions.com I am not out to convert you to my way of thinking, I am just telling you that if you look at the bigger picture you will see that if the western governments and bankers have a plan to stay in power then they will do anything!! ie who setup Saudi government, who setup Hasni Mubarak Egypt, who setup Saddam Hussain Iraq… The list never ends. As for terror look what Australians did to the aborigines, look what Americans did to Indians, look what west did to African slaves… When you go and… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago

Whatever…raping women in colon because they deserved it right???? Fuckoff asshole

1 year 7 months ago

For starters. …it’s beautiful. …. secondly, out of sheer fascination for the length of human history there. ….

1 year 7 months ago

Here’s something funny. ..a Christian shooting up people in the US isn’t called what it is …. terrorism. …most terrorist acts in the US were/ are by Christians.

1 year 7 months ago

Oh what a lovely place, so forward and peaceful.

1 year 7 months ago

I have friends who have done tours of duty in many places, almost all are beautiful and the people friendly. But they were not in foreign lands because of scenery. Governments killing their people, silencing those who speak out. Im sure many people thought Berlin was a wonderful vacation spot before 1939. Idiots.

1 year 7 months ago

Erik Hammer and these same Liberals on here will talk about equality for all, then advocate vacationing in places like Iran where they hang people for being Homosexuals and stone women to death for adultery after being raped. Why anyone would support such regimes is mind boggling.

1 year 7 months ago

Because this type of behaviour can be stopped by hugs and understanding. Hey if you dont see it in the resort it must not exist.

1 year 7 months ago

I know some people who cycle toured through Iran,very nervous at first but said it was a incredible country to visit

1 year 7 months ago

Thank You for sharing! I love travelling too and to learn about other cultures! Narrow minded people are a disgrace to human race!

1 year 7 months ago

Its true the narrow minded are a disgrace. What kind of person would murder another because they read a book wrong? How dare a god make people different enough to hang for it.

Adrian Smith run along and eat man meat. Lefty

1 year 7 months ago
Al, don’t believe the BS, make up your own mind for a change, Iranians are amongst the kindest and friendliest people on the planet and extremely well educated too. As I said earlier if you see the country up close it’ll blow your mind, they don’t rape women (no more than the West 😉 ) and don’t behead people in public (that’s your lovely ally Saudi 😉 ) goat fucking is unheard of (I hear it’s legal in 11 states down your way ? ) they also don’t go around killing millions of innocent people and call it defending Freedom… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago

Kevin Fahey There are definitely problems that must be addressed but stoning is not common or routine. Regarding homosexuality, yes it is officially frowned upon but Iran is also one of very few countries that pays a large percentage of the costs for sex changes, bet your hate department hadn’t told you that 😉 .

1 year 7 months ago

Alex Kolver why did you leave Iran?

1 year 7 months ago

Stuart Parkinson There can be many reasons Stuart, why do so many Europeans go to Australia or Canadians to the US or vice versa ? Why judge one man any differently to another ? I still go back regularly, it’s not perfect but nor is the West as perfect as it may want to lead you to think.

1 year 7 months ago

Al Snowdon, the people of the Middle East are human beings not animals.
Before the ill fated attack by the US and my own country it was a vacation destination for a lot of Europeans. The turmoil that we have created is tragic and has let loose a religious faction that was suppressed by Sadam Hussein. We have a lot to answer for.

1 year 7 months ago

hmmm…..seems there’s a minority of one…..tells a story, in itself, doesn’t it….I’m reminded that, while insular, ill-educated, easily brain washed with ‘hogwash’ types are in the minority there is hope for the rest of us…..stop buying the bullshit,fed to you by your government/media, al! make your own judgements based on your own life experience….

1 year 7 months ago

Sorry Al Snowdon Spain has some pretty decent terrorist groups I think you will find if you do your research, France has recently received “terror” attacks. I have no ties to the US but they’re blowing up everyone at the moment and your murder rate is insane, the number of terrorist organisations the US has is rather high too, should I visit there?

1 year 7 months ago
Al Snowdon – the epitome of ignorance. According to the FBI 96% of all terrorist incidents in the USA in the decade leading up to 2012 were by non Muslim groups. In Europe, according to EuroPol, it is 94%. Even worse though the terrorist groups like ISIS, Al Quaeda, Taliban etc are ALL Sunni Muslims – Iran is 95% Shiah so has nothing to do with any of these groups. I’m not a liberal or an appeaser and there are nasty bastards out there but thankfully I also don’t cower in fear or believe everything the media feed me so… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago

Al Snowden please let’s not use fowl language. what about the rapes that were taking place in Germany before refugees?! Will you blame the refugees for that too… It seems you’ve been blinded and you are scared to open your eyes! All religions are good but it’s individuals who misrepresent be it Islam, Christianity, Jewish!

1 year 7 months ago

Well just goes to show you that you cant fix stupid. If you want to go to these Countries then do not expect help if something goes wrong. You will only have yourself to blame.

1 year 7 months ago

Robbie Willits Can’t fix stupid, you said it 😉 try reading all the replies next time before announcing your ignorance.

1 year 7 months ago

Who misses the point by such a huge margin? Clueless.

1 year 7 months ago
Haha Al Snowdon you live in Hamilton you shouldn’t judge. Maybe I should believe what I am told about it being the armpit of Ontario and filled with drug addicts and bikers. Unlike yourself I live in Toronto and we are diverse and respectful of others cultures. Stay in Hamilton and keep your ignorance there. Perhaps instead of going on facebook you should educate yourself on Iran not just what cnn or other news outlets tell you. Before Afghanistan was bombed to the ground it was also a top vacation spot. News Flash you are being a terrorist. You are… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago

Not so decent when your first assumption is that an asshole is American. Pot, meet kettle.

Now with that said, I agree with the OP. Get out and learn something.

1 year 7 months ago

Lmao Jody O’Brien after watching their elections the assumption wasn’t far off. I will add I am learning more and more how ignorant people are in the comment sections of posts like this. SMH you really showed me lol

1 year 7 months ago

And being originally from the Maritimes I am further disgusted you are too. Ugh ignorance everywhere!!!

1 year 7 months ago

Ignorance eh? Guess we should all rally behind Trudeau and send this government billions. Im sure they will use it to further human rights in Iran. Lets all put on the blinders and support governments that murder their citizens for crimes like being gay, denouncing their faith, and drinking alcohol.

1 year 7 months ago

Iran is a wonderful place to travel to

1 year 7 months ago

Ugh so you suggest we condemn a whole nation because of their politics Erik Hammer don’t be ignorant. If that were the case I think we should also never visit the United States. Ugh so annoying when people assume they are superior. Maybe we should not be so blind to the rest of the world and ignorant of other cultures.

Ugh.

1 year 7 months ago

Make sure you get your husbands permission before leaving though Shea, wouldnt want you getting in trouble.

1 year 7 months ago

By the way, happy international womens day. Be grateful you live in a country where you can celebrate it in public.

1 year 7 months ago

If its that lovely why does every fucker want to come to Britian then

1 year 7 months ago

Al Snowdon guess you didn’t get much schooling, did ya, Al. Name calling? Really? Wow! How old are you anyway?

1 year 7 months ago

Darren Balls Same reason that every fucker from here wants to go to Australia 😉 every fucker from Italy wants to go to other places in Europe, every retired fucker dreams of Spain, every fucker in Canada wants to go to America, grass is always greener on the other side.

1 year 7 months ago

People who are not raised to be scared of the world around them.

1 year 6 months ago

Darren Balls, I live in the middle east and most of my colleagues are British. We choose to live here. I’m Australian and every second person I talk to wants to live in Australia. Hamid Hajilou is right.

1 year 6 months ago
Erik Hammer. it is very naive to believe there is any good government in the world. yes Iran ruled by islamic dictatorship and I strongly believe any country in middleast must keep their dictatorship. I don’t like Islamic version of it but it is still way better than democracy. Growing in that culture you will learn majority of people culturally believe in dictatorship and that’s working for them, yes Iran killed thousands of people for crimes that are considered human rights and that’s horrible but find me a single country in the world who is not engaged in some sort… Read more »
1 year 6 months ago

Dictatorship has been the norm for most of our history, democracy a recent experiment that has yet to prove it can do better.

1 year 7 months ago

Liam on Taken,Good luck….alright if you want to play Russian roulette with your life….

1 year 6 months ago

Watch much Fox news Wally? …or for that matter, any western corporate journalism.

1 year 6 months ago

All bought and paid for,can’t reveal any truths,not allowed to do that,nothing to disrupt the flow of money to the crooks…

1 year 6 months ago

Yep… that’s kinda the point.

1 year 7 months ago

And this is the country Hilary Clinton vowed to destroy. It is America that is scary.

1 year 7 months ago

Anthony Bourdain did an episode on Iran and basically says the people were great and interesting and wonderful . He had s great time there

He did however know that people were terrified to say anything because they were afraid of the government

One of the people he interviewed in his show disappeared six months later

Sure regardless of how nice the people are and how beautiful the country is the government is very terrifying

This is BS

1 year 7 months ago

What is exacly, Peggy Peleman Sandmair?

1 year 7 months ago

That’s what happens when peoples believe anything they hear or read in the media questioning it ! Thing are not always what they appear to be or what we were told they are!

True story!

1 year 7 months ago

am sure it is , that why I said what I said about it in my post , I was speaking about the made up story , sensationalism, exaggerations, and everything else you hear in the media. You must have had a great time in a beautiful, antiquity like , amazing great place.! ✌️

1 year 6 months ago

They told me, it’s a best place for gays to stay!

1 year 6 months ago

Don’t know , not gay, and am pretty sure that homosexuality is frowned upon down theses parts . So what are you really saying here?

1 year 7 months ago

Downtown Detroit might be scarier…..or any downtown USA…..everyone packin a gun

1 year 7 months ago

Get a chance to view a public execution? Or do they only kill homosexuals and non believers away from the shopping areas?

Huh??

1 year 7 months ago

” Spent a laid-back few days in Iran…” Not laid back for others. I think Iran is as “scary” as it is generally portrayed to be.

1 year 7 months ago

Im assuming here, but i think there is a bit of a difference between going on vacation and living under a government.

1 year 7 months ago

Don’t they have capital punishment in the States?

And aren’t the Police regularly shooting and killing black people for the flimsiest of reasons?

1 year 7 months ago

Lethal injection i believe, and its for murder, not being gay. Black people shot each other 10x more thsn police did, also i am Canadian. But way to support the torture and execution of gays there bud.

1 year 7 months ago

Who is supporting it? And you telling me gay people in the Southern states are all treated well by other citizens?

I’m not Iranian and I despise the mullahs but worse than them is supposedly intelligent people believing blindly what the media feeds them.

1 year 7 months ago

They are not being arrested and hung. And it is not the “media” feeding the truth. Leaked video and human rights watch groups tend to paint a pretty vivid picture of how people are slaughtered.

1 year 7 months ago

Video is worth a lot of words. Takes the guesswork out.

1 year 7 months ago

Oh gee! Lets turn mussy and live in glorious peace! Not!

1 year 7 months ago

No idea what a mussy is but I don’t this guy turned into one.

In the same way I didn’t turn into an ignorant bigot when I visited the States.

Fucking liar

?

1 year 7 months ago

never judge a book by its cover I guess … or by what a greedy corporate run media portrays … I recently heard the iranian government executed a billionnare for corruption… that should be a law in the western world and maybe we wouldn’t have so many money “hoarders”

1 year 7 months ago

That’s as maybe, but Iran also executes young children, many for minor infractions or “anti-state activities. Nice people to know, huh?

1 year 7 months ago

So does saudi arabia plus they still behead people and treat their women abhorrently yet when does the media mention their atrocities

1 year 7 months ago

so you would execute someone for having money? wow. that is some misdirected greed right there, because if money wasn’t your god, why would you care about someone hoarding money? and where would you have your jealousy benchmark? £1000 in the bank? £100,000? a million? “sorry mate, you saved 50p this month with means you broke the martell law…how would you like to be executed? beheading with a blunt knife?”

1 year 7 months ago

They don’t mention it Ruth because they don’t want to invade that country… yet.

1 year 7 months ago

I am from Iran and I would recommend visiting preferably by a tour or something. yes it is a dictatorship just like another 70 or so countries in the world. It is not like Castro is waiting in airport to execute everyone lands in Cuba is it? Lol

1 year 7 months ago

Alex Kolver No Cuba likes foreign money too. Did see a lot of police and military there though, probably making sure nobody does something as stupid as drinking or being gay to get themselves hung.

1 year 7 months ago

Brian yes a few kids were tried by a court and given death penalty .the usa police executed 115 in one year some r women without a trial and the police doesn’t even get suspended that’s a fact u and I know.

1 year 7 months ago
Erik Hammer. I am not suggesting you to visit Iran. if you are so scared and have no idea what you are getting to, you will definitely put yourself in trouble. I don’t think anyone here wants to go see how gay people doing in Iran or try the local bar. It is a very different culture and history and way of life which some people are interested to see it first hand. Just like I love to go and see North Korea. because I am sure it is very different from what media like us to know. The experience… Read more »
1 year 7 months ago

I work with a couple of guys from Iran for a few months (they didn’t know each other previous to working at this place either) they truly changed my perception of the people of Iran. Strong family and friendship values. I am still in contact with them even after I stopped working there.

1 year 7 months ago

And the food is great! I love Iranians!

1 year 7 months ago

Land & people are beautiful on their own accord It’s about the system of governance that creates conflicts & hostilities. Iran is not a true democracy & the ruling Mullahs will not waver from their ultimate goal…Celiphate = world domination by Islam ! Visit their prisons…

1 year 7 months ago

It will be ok in the tourist’s go

1 year 7 months ago

Unless you have been and experienced a country you should not have opinions.
I have just returned from Cuba and met the nicest people anywhere. Our governments have tried to starve the people into submission for 50yrs.

1 year 7 months ago

Cuba is a beautiful place! Best orange just ever! Love the accent!

Until you break a law

1 year 7 months ago

So tell me why are so many countries in just the Middle East , not just Israel, are very weary of the country of Iran ??? And why is Iran creating havoc all over the Middle East

Iran isn’t ? . .

Iran Isn’t what ?

1 year 7 months ago

Creating havoc . . how ? What have they done . . . ?

1 year 7 months ago

It isn’t Iran, you need to do some research.

Groups like ISIS, Al Queada etc are anti Shiah which = anti Iran.

1 year 7 months ago

The countries wary of Iran are mostly Sunni-ruled states who see Saudi as the regional power and Iran as a hostile challenger. Shi’a states, on the other hand, look to Iran for protection of Saudi Arabia – whose government, incidentally, make Iran look like Boy Scouts and tree-hugging liberals.

1 year 7 months ago

You sure were in Iran or did you dream

1 year 7 months ago

So why are they leaving in rafts…kids drowning..if this is true ship them all back just trouble makers ..

1 year 7 months ago

The Iranians aren’t leaving . . . Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan are the countries where people are leaving . . you know, the ones that have been attacked by the US, UK France, Russia etc.

1 year 7 months ago

Oh I made a boo boo…me bad??lol

1 year 7 months ago

all the same..been fighting and killing for thousands of years and will be in another thousand..

1 year 7 months ago

If its that nice send them back there then,

1 year 7 months ago

Send who, back where? And where do we send ignorant bigots to?

Ask yourself.??

1 year 7 months ago

Zulafkar is right, Gloria. Send who back? What are you talking about?

1 year 7 months ago

If Iran is so nice as the post sugests why are the people leaving to go to unknown destinations,

1 year 7 months ago

None of the refugees are Iranian?!?

1 year 7 months ago

Is that so,very few are from Syria.and most of those are able bodied young men who should be fighting for there country and looking after there familys.how come there are 2 words that are prolific if that cover all charities..Racist and Bigot..if you don,t agree with them,

1 year 7 months ago

A nice lady from work is from Iran and in fact she’s gone back there to care for her mum. She said it’s a great place

1 year 7 months ago

Yeah let’s go for a vacation in Iran- I’ll bring my ghetto blaster and bring along some Elton John, Lady Gaga and Barbra Streisand. You’d last 5 minutes.

1 year 7 months ago

Have you tried it? You do know there are clubs in Tehran?

1 year 7 months ago

Such a misleading article.

1 year 7 months ago

It’s just a piece of travel writing, documenting one person’s personal experience of a place. In what way is it misleading you?

1 year 7 months ago

It’s misleading because it doesn’t conform to preconceptions.

1 year 7 months ago

Its misleading because the writer is from Dubai. Obviously going to a place thats “an hour away” from your home is misleading. Same trip taken by someone who isn’t from there could end much differently.

1 year 7 months ago

D.a. Dryden I’m Australian.

Lol fuck that.

1 year 7 months ago

Screw up when your there and see how fast that changes..under the surface Iran is a cesspit of evil .

1 year 7 months ago

When were you last there?

1 year 7 months ago

Screw up as in break the law? Simple. ..don’t break the law. …same as here.

1 year 7 months ago

And america is great u get rob rape kill shot by police .the us government put bullshit in your head

1 year 7 months ago

And what happens when you screw up in the US?

Remind me, how many people in jail and how big the prison industry is…

1 year 7 months ago

I like how the people who most fear foreign places never visit them, but spread the fear regardless. A tautological view of fear: I won’t visit to learn about it because it’s too dangerous. I’m afraid of it because I’ve never seen it. I’ve never seen it because it’s too dangerous to visit.

1 year 7 months ago

I know right!? And then go on Facebook and tell a dude who had a great vacay that he was wrong! Hahaha fear is definitely the mind killer eh!

1 year 7 months ago

Don’t have to take a swim in the N sea to know it’s gonna b cold!

1 year 7 months ago

maybe you ought to go there…go ahead..

1 year 7 months ago

If Iran is such a wonderful lace why aren’t all the refugees from Syria dashing there so that they are safe. Get real you do gooders the Muslim religion has one aim, RULE THE WORLD!!

1 year 7 months ago

How stupid can a person be?!?

1 year 7 months ago

Perhaps in your Muslim wisdom you can try and convince me why I am supposedly stupid?

2014

1 year 7 months ago

Apalling human rights record, terror supporter & funder, self proclaimed enemy of the west & you climb into bed with these quranimals like everything’s fluffy!
You should be ashamed of yourself!

1 year 7 months ago

Well the west did overthrow their elected government in the fifties and install a puppet dictator who ruled for about thirty years; you can see why they wouldn’t much care for western governments, I would have thought.

1 year 7 months ago

If you seriously think that is the root of this problem, you lack cognitive skills! Stop appeasing backward bullies by falling for the latest trend in self deprication. We did not cause islam’s attitude toward us!

1 year 7 months ago

Of course not. .. we’re fed what they want us to see.

1 year 7 months ago

I’d love to visit Iran. …

1 year 7 months ago

Jeremy Henderson See for yourself, the internet shows a lot more of the truth than politicians and career vacationers.

1 year 7 months ago

How many youth your police kill in cold blood .how many millions bush slaughter in iraq to steal oil

1 year 7 months ago

You tell me. How many youth has your police killed? Im also Canadian, Bush wasnt my problem.

1 year 7 months ago

The big problem…and I mean BIG problem I have with the Iranians is that they also hang young children. At the last count in 2015, there were at least 70 kids on death row, aged between 11 and 16. While I find the very concept of capital punishment abhorrent, the State murder of children takes cruelty and barbarism to a whole new level…and any nation which sanctions such a practice can under no circumstances lay claim to being civilised.

1 year 7 months ago

I dont see them changing that once we start doing billion dollar business deals with them either.

1 year 7 months ago

Sadly no, Eric…it’s apparently in their nature.

1 year 7 months ago

What gets me is this is the new “moderate” government. Not sure what our government is thinking by lifting sanctions, seems like that should come after Iran improves.

1 year 7 months ago

This country is very forward thinking and peaceful the US does not get there way with the government so like Russia they are the bad people the enemy of democracy.

1 year 7 months ago

Lovely government. Very forward thinking and peaceful.

joker

nice try propaganda

yes as I said joker

1 year 7 months ago

Great to hear!! Not dangerous?? Maybe the refugees from Syria can find “forever homes” in this ‘ordinary Muslim country.’

WELL SAID !!!!

1 year 7 months ago

Hahaha, yeh i dont think you’ll get many takers for that offer

1 year 7 months ago

feel free to go and let us know how that worked out for u Christine and Rodney

1 year 7 months ago

Thanks Penny Jones but we’re not worshippers of Islam. No postcard for you.

1 year 7 months ago

Christina Stea Maybe you could open your eyes and see that 95% of the refugees (created by the West 😉 ) are already in Muslim countries. You Reap what you Sow.

1 year 7 months ago

The West created this? So easy to point fingers rather than cleaning up your own house.

1 year 7 months ago

Absolutely, mainly all started shortly after the end of WW2 ;), HISTORY is your friend. The really relevant parts of course go back only two decades when the US and it’s allies started to bomb peace and democracy into the ME.

1 year 7 months ago

Hamid Hajilou Europe is a muslim country? Perhaps you are confused, maybe Saudi Arabia should open its borders, after all we buy enough of their oil.

1 year 7 months ago

Erik Hammer No Erik, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq amongst other ME countries 😉 currently house several million Western created refugees between them, hope that helps your quest for knowledge.

1 year 7 months ago

History…..the past. The dead. Don’t hold a grudge. If you keep looking back , you can never move forward.

1 year 7 months ago

Christina Stea Yes very nice 🙂 funny that you like to apply that logic to suit yourselves but keep dragging up every piece of dirt from “their” past 😉 It’s not a grudge by the way, it’s called truth.

Well why not hamid

1 year 7 months ago

Oh and not the only cause we are in irag and Afghanistan baloney clock your history and just a by the by where are you presently living

1 year 7 months ago

At the end of the day, I am forced to spell it out . Stay in your own countries, keep your hatred there, and fight your own battles.

1 year 7 months ago

The majority of the Syrian refugees are Sunni muslims. Iran is mostly Shia muslim.

1 year 7 months ago

I must go visit, any nice Gay bars or clubs there?
Oops, I forgot, they put you on the back of a truck, take you to the town square, then hang you. Like they did with a 19 and 20 yo, for being SUSPECTED of being gay.

1 year 7 months ago

Oh dear! Don’t go there if you are gay then.

1 year 7 months ago

I don’t plan to, but then the entire Middle East is a cesspool of murderous homophobia, that’s why I refuse to fly Emirates, Quatar, or any other Arab controlled airline.

1 year 7 months ago

You got a point there! I have never flown those airlines anyway and don’t have plans to do so. I use Iberia.

1 year 7 months ago

Good for you, stay away from those 3, you’re just supporting their murderous masters.

For me it’s Qantas, Thai, Singapore. 🙂

1 year 6 months ago

Tom van der Leelie It is very clear that you have never been anywhere near the middle east. lol.

1 year 6 months ago

Peninsularity Ensues you are correct, I haven’t, and never ever will, a very dear friend was beaten up by police in Dubai, he is a somewhat flamboyant Gay guy, and was enjoying himself, laughing and just being himself, nothing that would be given a 2nd look in the west.

He was seen by 2 brutes, (police), dragged into the car, taken to the station.
He was released 6 hours later, bruised and bloodied.

So, yes, I will avoid the countries and their airlines, Specially Emirates.

My choice, my decision.

1 year 6 months ago

I’m sorry to hear about your friend Tom, that seems unusual to me. There are a great number of gay people in Dubai, as all over. Several of my friends and colleagues are gay here in neighbouring Oman, and they feel very safe here. It was one of these friends actually who gave me the idea to travel to Iran, after he enjoyed his trip there.

1 year 6 months ago

Thank you for your kind thoughts.
But the damage is done unfortunately, he’s very reluctant to travel anywhere except within Australia. Such a shame.

As for me, I love Asia, specially Thailand and love to fly with Thai Airways, which I also use for travel to Europe. And they serve real bacon for breakfast. Haha

I’m a Qantas Gold FF, and will use them to the US, and within Australia.

But will not fly Emirates. 🙂

Nice to talk to you, at least we kept it civilised. Haha

1 year 6 months ago

I have never heard such a load of bollocks they are rapists child abusers they inbreed with family members and have very deformed babies They disrespect other religions the list goes on and I can’t be arsed to reply to this bull shit

Bye the way I am referring to the MUSLIMS

1 year 6 months ago

So now the Middle-East is a haven for homosexuals.

David Williams Seriously?

1 year 7 months ago

Who in there right mind would go on vacation to any part of this world ???

If you do… Don’t call home for help when things go sideways!

1 year 7 months ago

It’s people like you who have no idea about the actual facts of this part of the world that perpetuate the lies and propaganda. Is Turkey OK in your eyes? How about Uzbekistan?

1 year 7 months ago

Thanks for your input, but I have served in that part of the wold!

But it’s people like you who would continue to go there end up in trouble then cry that your country is not doing enough for you!

Piss off!

1 year 7 months ago

Ah, you’re a military man Norm Swift. Well, thank you for your protection, but I’ve traveled in Iran, North Korea, Serbia, Bosnia… actually none of those places were as dangerous as the streets of Marrakech, Manila or Phnom Penh. They were all fun too though. With any luck, for all our sakes, your station in life will become redundant soon enough. Slim chances I know… and that’s nothing against you mate… I’m just talking about the machine.

1 year 7 months ago

Norm Swift you haven’t served, you were part of an illegal war that devastated the country. The only thing you served was death and destruction to largely innocent people.

1 year 7 months ago

Not fair. People like Norm join up in the expectation that they’ll be deployed where they’re needed and in a legal fashion; they’re also required to obey lawful orders. The men who actually fought in Iraq aren’t responsible for Bush and Blair bullshitting 50 other countries into supporting the invasion or sending 35 reports back to Langley to be rewritten, nor are they responsible for the failure of senior commanders (primarily in obedience to political directives) to properly plan the occupation.

1 year 7 months ago

Well PE… I am guessing you were not in Bosnia or Serbia during the War in the early 90’s!

Not the same place today as it was back then!

1 year 7 months ago

Have any of you people ever served in the army, or more to the fact the Infantry?

1 year 7 months ago

Jonathan Bennison Norm is Canadian. I am not aware that they have been part of any “illegal” war. Care you explain your reasoning please and which “illegal” war you are referring to?

1 year 7 months ago

Afghanistan was legitimate, in my opinion. Canada never deployed to Iraq.

1 year 7 months ago

You’re right Norm, I wasn’t in Serbia or Bosnia during the war. My wife was though. She’s a Serb.

So was I.

1 year 7 months ago

Paul J. Jones my mistake then. But America has bombed the fuck out of everywhere illegally for years now.

1 year 7 months ago

John Sayle most people join the army to shoot some ‘rag heads’ these days. Let’s not pretend they are all humanitarian ambassador’s.

1 year 6 months ago

As a fellow Canadian, thank u for your service Norm Swift!

1 year 6 months ago

what a bunch of pious cunts talking down to a military man

1 year 6 months ago

Well we all have opinions… Guess who has given you this right and opportunity? Sure as hell was not politicians!!!

Here here!

1 year 5 months ago

Heaven forbid someone disagrees with a member of the western millitary. After all, they are known to critically evaluate the actions of theyre government. #willinglybrainwashed

1 year 5 months ago

Norm Swift thanks for your comments and for your service… Some people will never be able to see unfortunately..

1 year 7 months ago

It’s such a damn shame that most westerners will never get to experience the middle east and all her countries has to offer….and NO the Emirates don’t count!

1 year 6 months ago

Yeah, they told me, Its a best place for gays TO visit!